Gede Ruins & Watamu Tour Gede villages are located on the seaward side off the main Malindi Road and short distance before Watamu houses Kenya’s mot important monument the GEDE or GEDI ruins about 20 kilometres south of Malindi town – an Islamic civilization city which disappeared mysteriously about three hundred years ago. The ruins were gazetted as a National Museum (45 acres) in 1948.
The great city mosque and parts of the king’s palace and other city houses have been restored, well-preserved and signposted with the well maintained trails for the benefit and enjoyment of the visitors. The ruins are surrounded by coastal forest where interestingly mammals and birds are seen.
Some of the common mammals and birds are yellow baboons, blue monkeys, suni, brown headed parrot trumpeter, green pigeon, fischers, turacco, brown-headed, hornbill and many others.
From Gede Village one travels for about 8 kilometres about to Watamu Village beyond which is the Watamu Marina National Park established in 1968 for the preservation of the coral reef resources.